Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Adventures of Suzie Homemaker



Well, I am about 34 weeks pregnant and counting, and so far so good. I have had about a billion ultrasounds (Well, realistically, it has been about 20. They have been closely monitoring me since about 20 weeks since I was at risk for preterm labor during my last pregnancy - yep, had to have surgery for the last one and the whole nine-yards, but it all turned out alright) and I have had numerous tests done - I can't tell you how many times they have drawn blood from me during the last nine months. And then I've had the added pleasure of doing a 24-hour "collection" (mothers out there who have been through the same testing will know what I mean by that.) Despite all of that, there is no room for me to complain - the baby is healthy and growing well, and I am not in any serious discomfort.

Anxiousness has been my main battle thus far - so naturally I have been looking for things to keep my mind completely occupied for the past month or so. When I am not doing the usual mom-thing, wife-thing, art-thing, or church-thing, I am always looking for something to clean, organize, sew, or write (as in - this blog, which explains the vast increase in our blog posts over the past month!). Some would call that "nesting" but I just call it "keeping my sanity."



Well, one thing is for sure, I have never done so much sewing in my life. I don't really "enjoy" doing crafts per se, but my drive to not pay full price for something that I know I can make myself is the real reason behind all of these projects. First was the baby blessing dress, then I started a combination car seat cover/nursing cover. I really had no idea what I was doing, but I just let the artist within me take over - I just get a vision then work with it until it comes to fruition.

Here is the car seat cover I made. It also doubles as a nursing cover though, so it has multiple uses. The fabric cost me about $5 total (on clearance for $2 a yard) and the buttons, ribbon, velcro, suspender clips, zipper, and charm were about an extra $10 total. So this cover was about $15-ish dollars to make. Not bad for 2 items in 1.



I installed a zipper (my very first attempt at one) to allow easy access and air-flow to the baby while she's in there:




And here is a pocket I made to hold a pacifier and the strap to convert it to a nursing cover when needed:




I found this charm on clearance and couldn't resist putting it on the zipper - it says "Lil Sister":


Here it is as a nursing cover. It is basically a piece of matching ribbon that I sewed onto a pair of suspender clips. It is removable so that way it doesn't pose any hazards.


There is more stuff to post, but I've gotta go and do the mom-thing and tuck my son into bed...then I've gotta do the wife-thing and clean up this huge mess I made in our room...oddly enough, I made this mess while trying to clean....

3 comments:

  1. This turned out super cute! Way to go! You are so talented! I get super frustrated when sewing even simple things. :) Or at least I did when sewing the car seat covers for Brooky when I was pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the ones you sewed for Brooklyn! Yours were reversible though - they came out SO cute! That's one of the reasons I wanted to try and make one. And yeah - they are definitely frustrating! I planned on spending about 3 hours making it, but it turned into more like 2 days. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute. If we have another one, I will contact you to make me one of those ;)

    ReplyDelete